Jim received a Masters in Social Work from Jane Addams College of Social Work at the University of Illinois at Chicago where the emphasis is on social justice and personal resilience.
Jim’s clinical areas of interest are anxiety and depression, bipolar disorder, stress management, coping skills, mindfulness, chronic and persistent mental illnesses, substance use and recovery, compulsive behaviors such as sexual addiction and gambling, life transition issues, job change and loss, grief and loss, shame, anger, family of origin issues, relationships with family and peers, identity development, coming out, transgender issues, bisexuality, gay and lesbian issues, married and formerly married gay men, non-traditional relationships, health and body issues, self-esteem, sexual health, living with chronic illness, HIV, and serodiscordant relationship issues.
- National Association of Social Workers, (NASW)
- Illinois Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Professional Certification Association, Inc., (IAODAPCA)
- WPATH, The World Professional Association for Transgender Health, Inc.
- Employee Assistance Professionals Association, Northern Illinois Chapter
- The Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance – Greater Chicago Chapter
- Association for Contextual Behavioral Science
- Social Welfare Action Alliance